Not many 17-year-old girls know how to solder（焊）copper pipes together or light a pilot light. These are 41 I’ve learned as an assistant to my 42 in his plumbing（管道）business.
My summer job deals with 43 that constantly cause physical and mental discomfort, and the work 44 an attitude of determination and patience that I frequently struggle to adopt. Each morning, I 45 myself into large-thick men’s jeans most girls would 46 to wear and climb into the plumber truck. As my classmates begin their
47 babysitting or selling groceries, my dad and I carry 48 toolboxes and work in the dark basements. I often get 49 in messy storage boxes looking for the water meter. Nothing around is beautiful or tidy.
Sometimes I 50 why I stand the dust and sweat when I could be in my air-conditioned house doing summer homework. Yet as much as I 51 the mess of plumbing. I look down upon myself for being so easily annoyed by disorder. 52 , the world was built by people willing to get their hands 53 .
Five such summers have 54 me that the messy parts of people’s houses 55 the messy parts of their lives. As I learn to 56 the mess, I also learn to handle the 57 and contradictions in my adolescence. Life is a process of accepting 58 and learning to put it in order. Plumbing work is no different. You can see it in each newly soldered group of copper pipes. And when customers express 59 , I understand that, in a small way, we bring 60 to their lives.
41. A. manners B. skills C. facts D. rules
42. A brother B. dad C. teacher D. friend
43. A. messes B. customers C. noises D. exercises
44 A. offers B. develops C. demands D. lacks
45. A. wrestle B. lower C. squeeze D. hide
46. A. need B. expect C. refuse D. choose
47. A. shifts B. studies C. meetings D. travels
48. A. fancy B. small C. expensive D. heavy
49. A injured B. absorbed C. lost D. interested
50. A. know B. question C. imagine D. remember
51. A. see B. clean C. hate D. create
52. A. Or rather B. At least C. After all D. In addition
53. A. full B. dirty C. firm D. free
54. A. taught B. promised C. advised D. guaranteed
55. A. examine B. divide C. reduce D. reflect
56. A. sort out B. care about C. hunt for D. give up
57. A. arrangements B. uncertainties C. competitions D. expectations
58. A. failure B. help C. change D. chaos
59. A. sympathy B. suspicion C. disapproval D. appreciation
60. A. peace B. success C. wonder D. order
答案 BBACA CADCB CCBAD ABDDD