Nearly seven years ago, I hitchhiked （搭顺风车） across Canada. It was an exciting experience, which allowed me to look into the 41 of humanity.
Once, I was dropped off in front of a（n） 42 woman, who had pulled over because her __43 had broken down. I approached to make sure she was 44 . She assured me she was fine and that her husband was on his way with a truck. So I went back to my 45 , standing about 150 metres away. Her husband arrived. And 46 they had picked up the broken-down car, the old couple 47 to bring me back to their place for lunch. I 48 agreed.
But our 49 was very funny. I could not—for the life of me—figure out what her husband was 50 . He spoke English, but his strong accent made it 51 to understand. Every time he spoke to me, I’ d have to 52 , “I m sorry, but what did you say?” And every time I said this, his wife would 53 : “He saaaaaaid...” and then 54 her husband’s words. But we had a good time together.
This old couple’ s random 55 was just what I enjoyed about hitchhiking. You have non-stop social interactions（互动） that are authentic but only in a 56 time. A person becomes an important part of your life for an hour or two and then they 57 . However, the beauty of these 58 being so kind never gets old.
Each meeting I had was 59 into my little treasury （宝库） of memories that has begun to 60 with time. But together, they paint a broader picture of harmony in this country.
41. A. weaknessB. originC. beautyD. chain
42. A. elegantB. healthyC. dirtyD. elderly
43. A. bikeB. carC. truckD. motorbike
44. A. okayB. aliveC. injuredD. awake
45. A. climbingB. walkingC. campingD. hitchhiking
46. A. untilB. whenC. beforeD. because
47. A. offeredB. appliedC. managedD. helped
48. A. roughlyB. unwillinglyC. happilyD. proudly
49. A. teamwork B. endingC. planD. communication
50. A. doingB. sufferingC. doubtingD. saying
51. A. easyB. impossibleC. normalD. embarrassing
52. A. remindB. noteC. askD. require
53. A. step inB. call inC. hold onD. look forward
54. A. translateB. acceptC. ignoreD. check
55. A. surveyB. kindnessC. permissionD. occupation
56. A. longB. pleasantC. shortD. fixed
57. A. disappearB. stayC. succeedD. agree
58. A. touristsB. driversC. couplesD. strangers
59. A. knockedB. dividedC. insertedD. broken
60. A. deepenB. fadeC. settleD. spread
思路点拨根据下文中的“the broken-down car”可知，这位老太太的汽车出故障了。
思路点拨根据下文的“I’m sorry, but what did you say?”可知，作者听不懂老人说的是什么。
思路点拨根据“I’m sorry, but what did you say?”可知，老人每次同作者讲话,作者都不得不询问老人在 说什么。
思路点拨根据下文中的“for an hour or two”可知，作者在路上遇到的人们只是在短时间内有着交集。