People came to the area that's now New Mexico more than 12,000 years ago. Experts think they migrated from 61 is now Russia across a land bridge 62 (call) the Bering Strait during the last Ice Age. Thousands of years 63 (late), native American tribes including the Apache, Zuni, Navajo and Pueblos lived on the land.
In 1540, a Spanish 64 (explore), Francisco Vázquez de Coronado, came to the area n search of cities made of gold 65 were rumored (谣传) to exist in the America. He didn't discover treasure, but over the next century the Spanish colonized the land. Then in 1821, Mexico declared its independence 66 Spain, and the area became part of Mexico. But after the United States won the Mexican-American War in 1848, New Mexico became an American territory. In 1912, it 67 (declare) the 47th state.
When the Spanish set out to explore the region, they hoped to find land as 68 (value)as what they had found earlier in Mexico. So they 69 (name) the area Nueva Mexico. (“Nueva” means“new” in Spanish. ) As for the word" Mexico”，some experts think it's a version of a name that the Aztecs (a cultural group from Mexico) had for one of their gods.
The state has beautiful scenery from 70 ( mountain) to forests and deserts. This earns it the nickname the Land of Enchantment.
62. called【解析】考查非谓语动词。call和 bridge在逻辑上构成了动宾关系,因此用过去分词形式来充当后置定语。
63. later【解析】考查副词。late作副词用时,意为“晚,最近”,而 later作副词用时,意为“后来,以后”。根据上下文,可知用 later表示“以后”符合文义。
64. explorer【解析】考查名词。 Francisco Vazquez de Coronado是个人名,充当前词的同位语。由此可知设空处应该填名词, explorer符合要求。
65. that/ which【解析】考查定语从句。定语从句的先行词是指代物,且从句中缺少主语,故用that或 which引导。
66. from【解析】考查介词。 independence经常后面跟from连用,属于是固定搭配。
67. was declared【解析】考查语态。 declare后面可以跟双宾语连用,句意为“在1912年,新墨西哥州被宣布成为美国的第47个州”,由此可知此处应该用一般过去时的被动语态。
68. valuable【解析】考查形容词。as+ad+as是常见结构,而 value的形容词形式就是 valuable。
70. mountains【解析】考查名词单复数。 mountain是可数名词,再根据后文的“ forests and deserts”可知答案。