The Parents’ Lifesaving Touch
On March 25, 2010, Kate and David heard the words every parent feels frightened of: Their newborn wasn’t going to make it. Their twins—a girl and a boy—were born two minutes apart and 14 weeks premature(早产的), ___1___ just over two pounds each. Doctors had tried to save the boy for 20 minutes but saw no ___2___. His heartbeat was nearly gone, and he’d stopped breathing. The baby had just minutes to ___3___.
“I saw him gasp(喘息) weakly, but the doctor said it was no ___4___,” Kate told the Daily Mail five years later. “I know it sounds stupid, ___5___ if he was still gasping, that was a sign of life. I wasn’t going to give up ___6___.”
In an effort to cherish(珍惜) her last moments with the tiny boy, Kate asked to ___7___ him. The couple knew this was likely a ___8___.
Kate removed the hospital blanket ___9___ the boy, whom the couple had already ___10___ Jamie, and ordered David to take his shirt off and ___11___ her and the boy in bed. The first-time parents wanted their son to be as warm as possible in their arms and hoped the skin-to-skin contact would improve his ___12___. They also talked to him.
“We were trying to entice(说服) him to stay,” Kate told the Daily Mail. “We explained his name and ___13___ he had a twin who he had to look out for and how hard we had tried to ___14___ him.”
Then something completely ___15___ happened. Jamie started ___16___ again. Finally, he reached for his father’s finger.
The couple’s lost boy had made it.
“We’re the ___17___ people in the world,” David said.
Eight years later, Jamie and his sister, Emily, are happy and ___18___. The parents only recently told the kids the story of their ___19___. “Emily burst into tears,” Kate told the Daily Mail. “She was really upset, and she kept hugging Jamie. This whole ___20___ makes you cherish them more.”
1. A. losing B. measuring C. weighing D. showing
2. A. appreciation B. improvement C. prediction D. agreement
3. A. live B. play C. grow D. think
4. A. harm B. trouble C. wonder D. use
5. A. but B. or C. and D. for
6. A. gradually B. peacefully C. hardly D. easily
7. A. cover B. hold C. cure D. wash
8. A. risk B. party C. goodbye D. tradition
9. A. around B. to C. beside D. against
10. A. promised B. kept C. awarded D. named
11. A. join B. place C. feed D. hide
12. A. appearance B. condition C. memory D. skill
13. A. why B. when C. that D. if
14. A. protect B. raise C. teach D. save
15. A. unbelievable B. unfamiliar C. natural D. acceptable
16. A. waving B. speaking C. smiling D. breathing
17. A. kindest B. luckiest C. bravest D. cleverest
18. A. free B. relaxed C. healthy D. confident
19. A. birth B. adventure C. growth D. education
20. A. project B. experiment C. progress D. experience
【答案】1. C 2. B 3. A 4. D 5. A 6. D 7. B 8. C 9. A 10. D 11. A 12. B 13. C 14. D 15. A 16. D 17. B 18. C 19. A 20. D