Ringing a Bell
The teacher looked up from her yellow notebook and cleared her throat. “We’re going to be ___16___the Salvation Army by ringing the bell. Each of you will ring it for four hours,” she announced. As the words left her lips, complaints could be heard around the room. Four hours of ringing a___17___bell in winter! Four hours that I could be studying for the SATs. Was this supposed to be ajoke? I joined the crowd around the table and signed up for the first day of break—to get it over with.
A few weeks later, I was standing next to Walmart. There was another guy holding a jar across from me. Great, I was going to be ___18___ here ringing a bell with another guy who was trying to get donations ___19___some church organization. To top it off, it was 4℃ .
___20___, I put on the red apron bearing the symbol of the Salvation Army. Ring! Ring! A group of older women came up with their walking sticks to drop in some change. A man came by and dropped some coins in. I ___21___ my phone. Just 10 minutes had passed.
A cold wind blew against my ___22___face. I started to regret ___23___ my mom’s advice about wearing a scarf. I looked up, wishing that time would pass more quickly. A few birds swept around the electrical poles…Another ring of the bell brought me back to reality.
From the full parking lot stepped a tall man. ___24___he limped (跛行)toward me, I saw his unbalanced shoulders and awkward figure. His hair was messy and his jeans and shirt were dirty. When his hand reached toward the bucket, I caught a disgusting smell of oil and smoke. I couldn’t help but say, “Thank you, sir. Have a nice day.” He turned to smile, a smile that sharply contrasted his soiled clothing. The money he donated was not a lot, but it was ____25____ a lot to him.
I was ____26____ by his generosity. This act of charity, though not much, was worth so much more than ____27____ given by those who are better off. I continued to ring my bell happily,____28____ at everyone who entered the store. Occasionally, I handed out some homemade cookies that had been given to me earlier. Truly,____29____ is contagious (有感染力的).
In the beginning, I thought that this assignment would be a huge burden. Actually, I was being really____30____. We should think about others and learn more about what’s going on in the world around us. Finally, I encourage everyone to take four hours to ring a bell for the Salvation Army.
16. A. helping B. rescuing C. inspecting D. building
17. A. musical B. loud C. stupid D. warning
18. A. punished B. allowed C. left D. stuck
19. A. for B. through C. from D. with
20. A. Carefully B. Suddenly C. Slowly D. Proudly
21. A. checked B. cleaned C. held D. warmed
22. A. sweating B. freezing C. swollen D. twisted
23. A. ignoring B. following C. weighing D. seeking
24. A. Because B. Since C. As D. Although
25. A. normally B. particularly C. hopefully D. clearly
26. A. promoted B. defeated C. confused D. inspired
27. A. presentations B. donations C. opportunities D. rewards
28. A. staring B. smiling C. yelling D. pointing
29. A. appreciation B. sympathy C. kindness D. determination
30. A. generous B. sensitive C. greedy D. selfish
【答案】16. A 17. C 18. D 19. A 20. C 21. A 22. B 23. A 24. C 25. D 26. D 27. B 28. B 29. C 30. D