Several years ago, my company experienced a slowdown in business. We hoped that it was only ___16___. We had work enough for only four days of the week. So we decided that we would ___17___ from Monday through Thursday, and take Fridays to do ___18___ projects in our hometown.
One day, we went to a very old gentleman’s___19___ to do a total cleanup. When we arrived, an elderly woman ___20___ us at the door. We thought she was the wife, but it turned out she was the ___21___. She was 75, and her father 97! Soon, we began to ___22___ the house and the yard. It was ___23___ how much work a group could get done when everyone was working ___24___. That gentleman’s house went from dirt to a sparkling clean palace by the time we ___25___ .
The thing I most remember about that day, ___26___ , was not the great cleaning job that we did, but something ___27___. When we walked into the house, I noticed the wonderful drawings that ___28___ the walls. The daughter told us that her father had ___29___ them, and that he hadn’t ___30___art until he was 80 years old. I was ___31___ : these drawings were works of art that could have easily been hanging in a museum. At the time, I was in my early 30s and wanted to do something that would ___32___ my creative and artistic competence more than being president of a company would ___33___ . I had felt that it was too ___34___ to make a change at this “advanced” stage of my life. Boy! My ___35___ belief system got expanded that afternoon!
16. A. temporary B. easy C. proper D. impossible
17. A. rest B. play C. start D. work
18. A. research B. service C. design D. class
19. A. company B. house C. office D. room
20. A. showed B. helped C. invited D. greeted
21. A. colleague B. wife C. daughter D. partner
22. A. sell B. buy C. clean D. tour
23. A. amazing B. amusing C. boring D. tiring
24. A. individually B. together C. alone D. equally
25. A. finished B. washed C. started D. arrived
26. A. however B. therefore C. instead D. moreover
27. A. similar B. familiar C. different D. absurd
28. A. built B. faced C. made D. decorated
29. A. colored B. painted C. observed D. purchased
30. A. appealed to B. given up C. kept to D. taken up
31. A. disappointed B. embarrassed C. shocked D. satisfied
32. A. use B. lack C. add D. provide
33. A. continue B. allow C. fail D. process
34. A. difficult B. simple C. active D. strange
35. A. open B. social C. new D. limited
【答案】16. A 17. D 18. B 19. B 20. D 21. C 22. C 23. A 24. B 25. A 26. A 27. C 28. D 29. B 30. D 31. C 32. A 33. B 34. A 35. D