You never know how far a kind act can go. You don’t know who it can ____21____, either. When Gloria Porter and Jeff Reick began ____22____,they had no idea how much it would ____23____ others to shower (大量给予) people with kindness.
89-year-old Gloria Porter was lying in hospital. She couldn’t leave her ward. So to ____24____ boredom, she would often stare outside her window to watch construction workers building the new front entrance to the hospital. She wasn’t expecting one of the ____25____ to wave to her. She couldn’t help but wave back at the kind ____26____. This was only the start of a special ____27____ between the two.
Jeff Reick knew Porter was ____28____,so he decided to send a kind ____29____ to her by finding some chalk and writing “Get Well” on one of the beams (梁) facing her ____30____. “I just thought that was ____31____,” Porter said. “So I should do something to ____32____ that.”
When Porter saw construction workers working high above the ground one cold, windy day, she grew ____33____. She wrote “Stay safe” on a piece of paper, which she then ____34____ on the window for the workers to see. “When I saw 4 Stay safe’ on a piece of paper, I ____35____ and said to my coworkers, ‘Did you see that?’” Reick said.
The hospital staff took photos of that and ____36____ them on social media. The simple acts of kindness ____37____ and many people were employed in similar acts, including one woman who delivered ____38____ pizza to the construction workers.
“I just try to lead by example and never expect so much ____39____,” Reick said. “If everybody ____40____ does things like that, the world will be a better place.”
21. A. disturb B. employ C. affect D. describe
22. A. communicating B. singing C. arguing D. explaining
23. A. require B. warn C. force D. encourage
24. A. make for B. put off C. figure out D. escape from
25. A. workers B. nurses C. doctors D. patients
26. A. job B. inspiration C. gesture D. favor
27. A. business B. connection C. difference D. trouble
28. A. lonely B. upset C. ill D. poor
29. A. 1etter B. message C. note D. warning
30. A. window B. entrance C. wall D. door
31. A. impolite B. necessary C. familiar D. precious
32. A. record B. return C. recover D. remember
33. A. puzzled B. worried C. thrilled D. annoyed
34. A. knocked B. installed C. placed D. drew
35. A. came down B. broke down C. showed up D. turned around
36. A. shared B. found C. mentioned D. deleted
37. A. happened B. succeeded C. spread D. formed
38. A. expensive B. free C. ordinary D. cheap
39. A. participation B. satisfaction C. solution D. introduction
40. A. merely B. apparently C. especially D. willingly
【答案】21. C 22. A 23. D 24. D 25. A 26. C 27. B 28. C 29. B 30. A 31. D 32. B 33. B 34. C 35. D 36. A 37. C 38. B 39. A 40. D