I always remember one Christmas when we ___41___ outside of town. My older brother had a job in a different city ___42___ he always made it home to celebrate the holidays. During the few days before Christmas Day, we ___43___ a violent snowstorm with powerful winds. It was so ___44___ that the country road was almost impassable.
The day before Christmas was more ___45___ than I had ever imagined. My older brother was stuck at a stranger’s home where he had been ___46___ to stay overnight because of the storm. The person was ___47___enough to let him stay until morning. But, the ___48___ was that he couldn’t get his car to start and there was no assistance available.
So, my dad and I ___49___. We were lucky enough to make it to where my brother was ___50___. After his car warmed up, he thought it much ___51___ to head back to his place rather than try and make it home for Christmas. So we headed in ___52___ directions.
The drive back got even worse. We got stuck in a huge snowdrift. A(n) ___53___ had to be made. We placed a shovel(铲子) about ten feet behind the car to ___54___ anyone else that there was an obstruction(障碍物) ahead.
We left the cars in the ___55___ , wrapped(包裹) blankets around our heads and ___56___ on top of the snowdrifts. We made it about a mile up the road to a neighbor’s farmhouse where we ___57___ for the next mile walk home. We all made it ___58___ home that night.
Christmas was very ___59___ that year. It didn’t matter if there were ___60___ or not under the tree the next morning. We each got our gift—the gift of life, home with our family safe and sound. What better gift is there? None.
41. A. hidB. livedC. relaxedD. waited
42. A. orB. soC. butD. since
43. A. predictedB. discoveredC. rememberedD. experienced
44. A. badB. uniqueC. coldD. quiet
45. A. popularB. enjoyableC. importantD. memorable
46. A. orderedB. forcedC. invitedD. refused
47. A. kindB. strictC. smartD. curious
48. A. factB. resultC. problemD. message
49. A. gave inB. set outC. moved onD. turned back
50. A. workingB. waitingC. sleepingD. studying
51. A. wiserB. crazierC. more dangerousD. more interesting
52. A. desiredB. expectedC. oppositeD. forward
53. A. excuseB. promiseC. changeD. decision
54. A. callB. warnC. criticizeD. persuade
55. A. snowB. garageC. churchD. backyard
56. A. dancedB. droveC. walkedD. stayed
57. A. woke upB. got outC. looked outD. warmed up
58. A. safelyB. regularlyC. suddenlyD. proudly
59. A. busyB. strangeC. specialD. traditional
60. A. rewardsB. mealsC. leavesD. gifts
【答案】41. B 42. C 43. D 44. A 45. D 46. B 47. A 48. C 49. B 50. B 51. A 52. C 53. D 54. B 55. A 56. C 57. D 58. A 59. C 60. D