Everyone should go to his or her 50th high school reunion. There was a time I thought I’d never go even if the opportunity 41 . But now I feel 42 for people who don’t go.
I went to the 43 of my high school on a Saturday evening, and I am glad I did. It was a gift to recognize some 44 classmates right away — and to be recognized. 45 , we had name tags and our 46 photos on our clothing to help identify us. I recognized one woman immediately!
The most memorable and moving experience of the night was 47 by a schoolmate and neighbor to whom I was once close. Unfortunately, we had a falling out in the high school. I never saw her after 48 , but this time, I saw her name on a place setting. At first, I feared that I would
49 her. But my better self won over, and I 50 her out. I kept looking until I got a(n) 51 on my shoulder. There she was, 52 . We hugged as if nothing had ever 53 and exchanged affectionate words.
When the party 54 , my old-new friend walked towards me, 55 me again and wished me well. I returned her good wishes. All the bad 56 melted into thin air.
I am grateful I had this 57 to reunite with old classmates. After all, we are almost 58 the final lap of our lifelong journeys. Some classmates had already left this 59 , and their names were deleted from the list. Sometimes we have to walk back into the past because time does heal old
wounds. We’re not the 60 people. We are better people.
41. A. came down B. came up C. came through D. came off
42. A. sorry B. happy C. excited D. moved
43. A. competition B. reunion C. exhibition D. concert
44. A. latter B. former C. present D. future
45. A. Unluckily B. Unwillingly C. Normally D. Thankfully
46. A. old B. recent C. modern D. new
47. A. described B. provided C. promised D. ordered
48. A. graduation B. invitation C. retirement D. punishment
49. A. stare at B. turn to C. run into D. rely on
50. A . let B. drove C. sought D. pushed
51. A. instruction B. blow C. kiss D. tap
52. A. reading B. singing C. smiling D. dancing
53. A. happened B. changed C. disappeared D. mentioned
54. A. began B. ended C. continued D. lasted
55. A. encouraged B. praised C. hugged D. judged
56. A. news B. scores C. excuses D. memories
57. A. qualification B. situation C. talent D. chance
58. A. missing B. destroying C. nearing D. wasting
59. A. world B. city C. school D. class
60. A. important B. serious C. successful D. same
【解析】come down 崩塌，下降；come up出现，到来；come through (信息或消息)传来；come off能被去掉（除去）。曾经有一段时间，我以为即使机会出现了我也不会参加同学聚会。
【解析】文章第一句话就提到high school reunion, 此处是原词复现。
【解析】由we had a falling out in the high school.可知高中毕业之后没有再见过面。
【解析】stare at 盯着看；turn to sb 向某人求助；run into偶遇；rely on依赖。由I saw her name on a place setting.可以得知这位与作者闹翻了的朋友也参加了聚会，因此作者害怕遇到她。
【解析】由下一句I kept looking until I got a…可知，作者在努力寻找这位朋友。
【解析】由前面We hugged as if nothing had…可知这里是再次拥抱。
【解析】由最后一句We are better people.可知，我们与过去不一样了，我们变成了更好的自己。