All of us know something about the USA and the Americans. But movies and TV often give the wrong idea about the country and its people.
Americans are usually rude and 16 a lot - especially at sports events! In comparison with the British, Americans are more informal. 17 , they often call teachers by their first names. However, many Americans are like people in other countries - polite and helpful, especially with foreigners.
The size of meals in American restaurants is very large, especially 18 to the UK. And if you can’t finish your meal, it’s 19 to ask to take some home with you. This is completely different from the UK! And don’t forget to leave a tip in restaurants and bars. This is very important --- you should leave about 15% of the bill.
Americans don’t get much holiday. Most people have about 20 of holiday each year. This is quite unlike other Western countries. The average is about four weeks of holiday. However, Americans also have about ten national holidays each year. This is 21 most countries.
Compared with the UK, people in the USA generally 22 a lot more for clothes, eating out, entertainment and much more! 23 the cost of hiring a flat is much the same as the UK and is quite expensive in big cities.
The USA is a huge country and there are four different time zones in the USA. So when it’s 10 a.m. in New York, it’s 7 a.m. in San Francisco. Don’t forget this when you’re phoning someone! In comparison with the north, winters in the south are not usually very cold. Check the 25 in the area you are going to.
16. A. move B. smile C. shout D. sleep
17. A. For example B. After all C. Such as D. Like
18. A. comparing B. compares C. compared D. to compare
19. A. unusual B. common C. necessary D. stupid
20. A. two-week B. two weeks C. two weeks’ D. two week
21. A. unlike B. different from C. similar to D. connected with
22. A. spend B. cost C. pay D. take
23. A. However B. But C. So D. Because
24. A. Clothes B. Manners C. Size and location D. Time and temperature
25. A. time B. place C. whether D. weather
答案 16-20CACBB 21-25CCBDD