Thirteen years ago my husband, Matt, and I bought an old farmhouse about a mile from where I grew up. The place wasn’t 41 buying to some people. 42 , we saw the beauty of the place-something others couldn’t see. They saw a very old building that 43 too much work. Some said that we were 44 to even think about buying it.
After making a 45 , there was much to be done before winter came. We chose 46 heat, but we didn’t have a brick firewall for the wood stove or a chimney.
I knew the perfect person who could do the job 47 than anyone else was my grandfather, Richard Jones. The 48 was that he lived in Florida, a very long 4 9 from our home-it was an 18-hour drive. Another problem was the 50 . Could we even 51 to pay him?
The distance 52 to be no problem at all. Retired(退休) at the age of 69. Granddad loaded my grandmother, their suitcase and his tools into their truck and headed north.
Each time I asked how much he would 53 ，he replied, “We’ll figure out the 54 when the job is done. Just have coffee and cookies ready when I get there.”
Granddad wasn’t 55 , I knew. He was 56 born with a sweet tooth. For two weeks the coffeemaker never stopped, and the cookies 57 before I could put them into the cookie jar. At last, he didn’t ask me for any money at all.
Whenever I look at the brick firewall, I will 58 my grandfather and the love he has for me. And I’m so 59 they moved back to our area several years ago. Now they’re only seven miles away. As I write this, I seem to hear a 60 voice calling out to me, “Do you have any cookies? Is the coffee made?”
41. A. useful B. suitable C. worth D. good
42. A. Instead B. Therefore C. However D. Moreover
43. A. needed B. ordered C. managed D. ignored
44. A. nervous B. wise C. stubborn D. crazy
45. A. living B. wish C. mistake D. deal
46. A. wind B. wood C. coal D. gas
47. A. faster B. better C. earlier D. higher
48. A. problem B. advantage C. purpose D. shortcoming
49. A. direction B. position C. distance D. discussion
50. A. method B. time C. space D. cost
51. A. afford B. mean C. plan D. expect
52. A. set out B. turned out C. added up D. broke down
53. A. waste B. save C. charge D. pay
54. A. date B. list C. room D. price
55. A. lying B. shouting C. playing D. laughing
56. A. clearly B. suddenly C. entirely D. sincerely
57. A. returned B. paced C. disappeared D. lost
58. A. come up B. care for C. think of D. burst out
59. A. active B. grateful C. shocked D. surprised
60. A. similar B. familiar C. strange D. different
答案 41-45 CCADD 46-50 BBACD 51-55 ABCDA 56-60 ACCBB