On a cool November day many years ago, I noticed a big black dog at our farm. I was furious （暴怒的）. He kept turning up.
I went to my father and told him how the dog had 36 part of our crop. “It’s all your doing,” I said. “Why did you offer milk to him a few days ago? He wants us to 37 him now.” “Why not?” asked father. “We already have Jhabroo. He won’t allow another dog to enter this place.”
A few days later, 38 , poor Jhabroo was hit by a bus and died outside our house. “Had I listened to you,” my father said, “we would have been 39 a dog now!”
Kalu didn’t take long to prove himself useful. Whenever he 40 a rat, he left everything aside – even his food – and dashed after it. At night when we slept, Kalu barked at the 41 noise like an alert guard. We had often heard about thieves in the area but his presence was quite reassuring.
One night at about 1 a.m., we were woken up by Kalu’s furious growls（低吼）. “Could it be thieves?” my father whispered to me. My father shouted through a window “Who’s there?” No reply. Kalu’s growls 42 more aggressive. 43 we heard a man cry out: “Save me from this beast!”
Armed with a wooden stick we went outside, and saw that Kalu had 44 the man down on the ground. Seeing my father, the man begged: “Save me, sir!” With father’s help, I managed to drag Kalu away. “Don’t come here again,” father ordered, waving his stick. “Next time, you’ll get this.” The man disappeared into the 45 . 46 Kalu continued barking after the man, I saw mother looking fondly at him through the window. Kalu got more 47 in the family.
Kalu lived with us 48 for over seven years. When he went missing for three days and our maid informed us that she had seen Kalu’s body, we were 49 . “Looks like he ate something poisonous,” our neighbor suggested. Our farm seemed very lonely without Kalu.
Over the years, we took in several more dogs, but none of them could 50 Kalu’s understanding and high spirits. The mean-looking stray（流浪狗）I didn’t want taught me to never judge anyone by his looks – be it man or his best friend
36. A. protected B. destroyed C. shared D. taken
37. A. adapt B. care C. accompany D. shelter
38. A. therefore B. otherwise C. however D. moreover
39. A. beyond B. with C. for D. without
40. A. spotted B. caught C. pointed D. heard
41. A. strongest B. kindest C. slightest D. biggest
42. A. grew B. looked C. heard D. barked
43. A. Occasionally B. Gradually C. Mentally D. Suddenly
44. A. put B. laid C. pinned D. turned
45. A. night B. darkness C. distance D. neighborhood
46. A. Before B. After C. As D. Since
47. A. popular B. happy C. furious D. alerted
48. A. naturally B. silently C. constantly D. faithfully
49. A. shocked B. annoyed C. puzzled D. frightened
50. A. appreciate B. match C. convince D. compare