21. — Sir, you are fined for speeding. Please sign here.
— Fined? Speeding? ______.
A. Are you all right? B. You can't be serious! C. I'm a foreigner. D. It doesn't matter.
22. The manager should take_______ action if safety standards are not being met.
A. awkward B. average C. appropriate D. automatic
23. The school had promised to keep parents fully _____ about the conditions of their children at school.
A. inform B. informing C. informed D. being informed
24. Appointed as ____chairman to China, Mr. Xi was determined to serve his country____ heart and soul.
A. an, the B. the; a C. the; the D. /; /
25. —Hi, Tom. The new iPad6 only cost me 150 dollars.
—Really? It was a real ______.
A. change B. bargain C. trade D. business
26. Under the new schedule, teachers of primary and secondary schools must _____each class on time instead of adding extra lessons.
A. cancel B. advocate C. postpone D. dismiss
27. I send you my revised catalogue and price list, ______ you may find something that suits you.
A. to hope B. hoping C. hoped D. hope
28. — Why do you do volunteer work in the North—West?
— I_____ to improve the lives of the children there through my efforts.
A. was trying B. have tried C. am trying D. tried
29. Some passers-by witnessed the car accident ______ five passengers were killed, a baby included.
A. where B. which C. that D. when
30. Mary couldn’t________ the terrible working conditions in that factory and resigned last week.
A. catch up with B. keep up with C. put up with D. come up with
31. — Do you think it's a good idea to make friends with your students?
—________, I do. I think it's a great idea.
A. Really B. Hopefully C. Actually D. Eventually
32. It is______ of him to set his aim high but do little, so he is always leaving things undone.
A. specific B. typical c. flexible D. widespread
33．Please tell me how the accident _______. I am still in the dark.
A. came up B. came out C. came to D. came about
34. This factory produced much dirty water, which resulted in a wide _______ of environmental problems.
A. branch B. range C. species D. wave
35.People who do not smoke have less ______of suffering from lung cancer than those who do so.
A. potential B. pattern C. preference D. prejudice
36. Studying Tom’s menu, I found that many of the items are similar to ________ of McDonald’s.
A. those B. ones C. any D. all
37. Had they known what was coming next, they _________second thoughts.
A. may have B. could have C. must have had D. might have had
38. The police were seeking more information to find out________ killed the rich merchant.
A. who it was that B. who was it that C. it was who D. who was it
39. One can always manage to do more things, no matter______ full one’s schedule is in life.
A. how B. what C. when D. where
40．--I'm sorry I made a mistake!
-- . Nobody is perfect.
A. Take your time B. You're right C. Whatever you say D. Take it easy